Friday, July 15, 2011

Failbook abortion commentary

funny facebook fails - Dead Babies
see more Failbook

A couple of really fascinating things about this. First, as of the time I'm posting this, the post has received 6162 thumbs up versus 480 thumbs down. That means the vast majority of viewers who were willing to actually vote on their opinion thought this was funny and/or clever. Second, it's really jarring to see a subject like this come up in such a detached setting--the whole point of this web site, after all, is to view the world through a thick lens of irony.

So, what to make of this? One could view it as a "pro-life" argument, but I wouldn't. I view it more as a "get off my back" social libertarian argument--if you're going to go kill your babies, don't yell at me for joking about them.

To be honest, I have a feeling this basically says the worst about our culture. We know what we're doing is killing babies, but we're so hopelessly detached from the issue, there's nothing to do but occasionally take jabs at our own inconsistency.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear feedback!